Sunday, July 6, 2008

CHOO CHOOOOO!






Hello again gentle readers. I had to post again soon once I received this last batch of images from Nancy back at the studio in Smicksburg! If you have been following along with me for the last month or so, you might know that Nancy and I have been building a new wood kiln. It is a train style based on a Robert Sanderson design. Long story short, I ran out of time and had to come to my summer job here in the Cha.... I did not get to finish the kiln...but she and the guy who is filling my space in the studio for the summer Mike Mintzer(spelling?) knocked it out and actually fired it off on the
first. Here are a couple of images of it finished...



















Nancy said the firing had a few glitches, but that could be expected for the first firing. There might be some things we need to do before the next firing...when I return in August...but all in all she says the results were pretty good and thinks that this will be a good kiln. Nancy was also super enough to send me a few pictures of some my pieces that came out...













Hey Nance, if your reading this...Thank You. I really wanted to finish the kiln and was a little down about not being able to be there to fire it, but being able to see some of the results and to have a friend that will take the time to email me stuff, sure means a lot. My body may be working overtime here in Chautauqua but my heart is still in a little town nestled in an Amish community called Smicksburg. I miss the slower pace and working with the big side doors to the studio open...breeze blowing through the space...I look forward to being back for the Fall and I often picture the big mature Oaks and their yellow leaves drifting everywhere. I leave you gentle reader, with a great picture Nancy sent me of the train kiln blowing its stack...enjoy, and think Autumn thoughts with me.

4 comments:

Cheryl Alena Kinzel said...

I am envious of your woodfiring ability. One day...

Todd said...

How exciting to see the progress of your kiln building.
Peace,
Todd in Santa Fe

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nice looking kiln. What are you using as your "coffin" lid? I can't really tell for sure by the pic.
With the way the price of propane is going, wood may be *the* way to go.

k.houser said...

hi annewebb of one of my fave etsy raku shops,
we use large industrial kiln shelves that span the top nicely. Nancy scavanged them for us...she is good at that! then we use a roll of kiln blanket on top of those...it seems to work well.
thanks for stopping by,
kyle