Wednesday, March 3, 2010

GO BOWLS...

Go bowls is right! Yesterday was the Empty Bowls Fund Raiser and it was a great success...Nancy, Josh, and Harmony worked hard to organize the event...Dan Kuhn stepped up for the IUP ceramics department and hosted the "throw down" and fired all the bowls, and those that donated the soups and bread and their time were all great. Another nice surprise was that Jeff Greenham from down at Fairmont University in West Virginia delivered a couple boxes of bowls made by him and his students. I really feel good about being involved with this event...donating my bowls and my time. I also love the sense of community I get from being involved, people coming together and simply coming out and supporting the event by breaking bread over some hot soup in nice hand made bowls. I think at the tail end of a long snowy winter, that this was beneficial on both sides of the fund raiser. In the end I heard from Josh that we made just under 4,000.00 buckaroos for the Indiana County Food Bank!













I couldn't help myself, I bought three bowls. I bought two Don Hedman bowls and one of Nancy's flowery, Majolica bowls, and for the record, I did only eat one bowl of soup. Don Hedman taught at IUP for twenty-five years and retired in 2004. He still lives in the area and has a great studio where he continues to produce very nice salt fired pottery. Ten bucks each was hard to pass up on for a couple of his bowls. Below is an image of me with Nancy's bowl and the next image is local artist Hisham Youssef declaring his soup to be quite palatable, and a picture of Dan Kuhn and his significant other, Aasta Deth, thoroughly enjoying their soup. So, you too enjoy some of the images from this event and if you didn't make it out this year, maybe we will see you next year.

2 comments:

christyculp said...

Congratulations on all your hard work! Just imagine if potters ran the world...

Anonymous said...

congrats... 4 grand is great! looks like a fun event too.