Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Shape of Things to Come...

Yep...that's been the story of my past week. The snow melted and the grass reappeared along with daffodils and crocus breaking through the muddy surface. I love the idea that there was something happening under what seemed like the big white blanket of deathly winter. Also, there were new things taking shape for me...working in the studio some, making a handful of new sculptural pieces for my upcoming two person exhibition with Adam Paulek. Its down in Virginia at the J Fergeson Gallery. I am excited to do the show with Adam...he is a friend of mine that I have known and worked with for a grand total of 1 month in 2 years. Honestly though, I feel like I have known Adam for a long time...he's just that type of guy. I first met Adam two summers ago in Chautauqua and immdeiately liked him and his work, which by the way, you should check out on his blog or etsy site... Our show is called "Not Particularly Precious"... and runs from March 30 until April 30. This thing came about pretty fast and I have been hustling to get some new pieces finished. So in a pinch, I fell back on a theme I like...nonsense machines that combine ideas or hints of utility with voluminous organic forms which reference mans' representation of nature and landscape through the objects we find inside the home.Yeah...you got that. The images below are waiting to be bisque and while I write this post, are surely on their way.













I will keep you posted on the progress of these pieces...they will undergo 2-3 more electric firings for me to get the surfaces complete. I will shoot them as I go and post the results prior to the exhibition. I have a very busy last half of the month ahead of me...install work at the gallery in Virginia on the 28th and 29th...NCECA on the 31st...oh yeah, I do have a class of 128 students still and I will be opening two more student centered shows in the IUP Kipp Gallery. UGH...it will be fine...it will be fine...no problem...I got it covered...I think anyways.
Think Spring.

3 comments:

MudStuffing Pottery said...

You had me a "nonsense [ceramic] machines"... digging them, can't wait to see how they turn out.

christyculp said...

I love the fact that those pieces are in the kiln WET! As a true dairy farm daughter I can't wait to see that udder piece. Moo baby, moo...

Anonymous said...

i'm lovin' those sculptures, looking forward to their progression through the firings