Sunday, September 26, 2010

That's Ceramics...

"That's ceramics"...loosely translated means...shit happens. This is a phrase I have said to umpteen dozen people throughout the years. "It sure ain't painting"...a whitewash of fresh gesso clearing the mistakes and preparing for another go round...no, it is not. Once things are fired they are pretty much that way...I will refire and refire if needed but somethings just can't be fixed with another firing. And that's how our last salt firing went...in one word...awry. The image above is not the floor of the kiln you are looking at but the wall...my mug stuck firmly, defying gravity. Oh well...let me repeat my mantra..."that's ceramics, that's ceramics, that's ceramics".













BUT, I am back at it, bakers dozen of tankards made yesterday with larger pieces drying. After the Steeler game I will be out there again making more for the trimming on Monday. I am working hard for our upcoming wood fire in the bourry box kiln. The Potters Studio Tour will take place October 16,17...click for the link to the website...I am featured as "guest potter" with Nancy...Little Mahoning Creek Pottery...but disregard much of my info on the site as it is over two years old...whatever. I did not send any new info when they needed it this summer. I was sort of out of the loop up there in Chautauqua...besides, that old crank who runs the site failed to update me last year when I did send new info. I will be posting a map here soon...its a really great tour and the work is wonderful. Featured on the tour besides Nancy and I ...Don Hedman, Betty Hedman, Josh Floyd, Birch Frew, and a host of other "guest potters". I have been doing the tour for the last 3 years and it always brings the folks out...so many people from the Burgh coming out to the foothills to enjoy the beautiful Fall colors and slightly rustic studios tucked away on the backroards. I have always felt fortunate to be a part of such a clay rich community...well, its back to work...stretch my back for a while and get cranking. Above are a few images of some new pieces pre-decals...there will be plenty of new images along with plenty of farting do-dos...did you know do-do birds fart florals?

4 comments:

MudStuffing Pottery said...

I know for a fact that dodos fart flowers! I have a mug to prove it. Hope you are well!

jim said...

that's a hilarious shot of the cup stuck to the wall. maybe just leave it there and let all the salt build up over the years. that "buy bobby a fresca" video is a scream too.

Toots McGee said...

I think "Buy Bobby a Fresca" is da bomb.

christyculp said...

Love the shot of Nancy's place!!