Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Self Serving" Just In Time for Christmas...

Have I ever told you guys about a buddy of mine down in Virginia...I feel almost certain I have. His name is Adam Paulek he and I had a two person show together there in Virginia this past spring, and when he is not making pots, he is making other cool things. Adam is the creator of a little something called "The Self Serve Pottery Kiosk" which is pictured above. He has 4 of these babies in operation in the Richmond Virgina area and guess what kids...he wants to expand into the greater Pittsburgh area! And yes, you guessed it again, that means I'm involved now! Click here to read more about the Kiosks down in VA. You can also go to Adam's blog here to check out other adventures, namely his very cool...shipping container studio. Below is some of Adam's work that can be purchased either through the kiosks or from his etsy shop.
So, let me get back to the Kiosk...the idea is that we place these things filled with mugs, cups, small bowls, etc. in coffee shops and cafes and people simply purchase work from the kiosk... sort of like a vending machine. They all operate on the honor system and 20% of all the money from the kiosk goes to a local art based charity. Adam has a charity down in Virginia called Art180 and the kiosk we are opening tomorrow at The Philly Street Cafe here in Indiana PA, will give back to the Indiana Arts Council's special project RUMPUS. RUMPUS helps to provide donated items and materials to art students, art teachers,and other needy creative folk for a real bargain!

I am thrilled to be the Pittsburgh connection for Adam's Kiosk project and also happy that he would ask me to be involved. I still want to open up 2 more in the burgh so if you are reading this and know of a coffee shop...cafe...or generally cool place that this might work, please let me know. Below I have added a few images of some of my new mugs and cups that can be purchased from the Self Serve Pottery Kiosk. Click to enlarge and if you are in the Indiana, PA area stop over at The Philly Street Cafe...have some hot coffee, a yummy bagel and maybe a new mug!

No comments: